|Name of walk||Whitehaven to St. Bees|
|Date of walk||2023-05-21|
A walk with son, Tom, from Whitehaven to St. Bees along the cliff top path, taking the train from Barrow. This is the first time we have done it in this direction, usually we start at St. Bees. From station to station it is 9 miles and takes about four hours.
Outer harbour and lighthouse.
The Candlestick (an old chimney connected to the Wellington Pit).
The new building in construction.
We are now on the high path.
Looking down on Saltom Pit Head, the first undersea coal mine in the world. Built in 1729 and worked until 1848. It was 146m deep and went out 2km under the sea. I have been down to it in the past, but for the past few years it has been out of bounds and fenced off, with danger signs.
The Haig Colliery, now a mining museum.
The route ahead to St. Bees.
On the path we come across a slow worm, a legless lizard.
The cliff path goes left.
This dinghy was in a garden at the signpost for the route to Sandwith.
The gorse is looking lovely.
Tom among the sea of blue and white wild flowers.
St. Bees Lighthouse. The current tower was built in 1822.
The cliff edge building that contains the Fog Horn.
Guillemots on the ledges.
Closer view of the guillemots.
Tom heading for Fleswick Bay.
We divert to one of the other observation points just off the cliff path.
Heading down into Fleswick Bay for our lunch stop.
On the beach we are joined by a beagle most interested in our lunch!
Inscriptions in the sandstone cliff wall.
View back to the lighthouse and Fleswick bay.
St. Bees now in sight.
We make our way down.
The start point for the Coast to Coast walk.
St. Bees Head. We visit the cafe for a drink and then head to the station for our train.
Always a good walk, but in this direction we were heading into the sun, so in the morning the reverse direction would be better.